Every school has a test Staffroom site
Every Staffroom school has their own test site that they can use if they want to try something out.
NB: This is a really important part of the service we provide our schools since our recommended best practice is to always test big changes out before attempting them on your live site.
Your test site is accessible using a similar address to your live Staffroom site:
- Your live site address looks something like this: <your school>.mystaffroom.net
- Your test site address will look something like this: <your school>.test-mystaffroom.net
For example, the live site echs.mystaffroom.net has a test site echs.mystaffroom.net.
Your test site also contains a copy of the live site data so that means the username and password for the test site will be the same as what you use on your live site.
What you need to know
There are a few differences between your Staffroom live site and your test one:
- Your test site has a copy of your live data in it: every evening your data is copied from your Staffroom live site to your test site. This means that any changes you make in your test site will be overwritten at the end of each day and your data will revert to a copy of your live data the next morning.
- Staffroom may be different: we release software changes into the test sites first, so you may find that not all features on the test site are exactly the same as your live site.
- Service levels may vary: we do try to keep the test sites up and running, but we don’t run the test sites with as many servers and we do also test changes on them. What this means is that the test sites may have a little more downtime than Staffroom’s live sites which are available 24/7/365 and they may sometimes run a little bit slower.
- It’s a different colour: so that you won’t get the two sites mixed up the Staffroom test sites have a red banner at the top of the screen so you have an obvious visual cue that you are working somewhere different.